Thursday 22 July 2010

Oh, I love you, my Ainiku!


There is another lesson that I had to learn about Japanese language yesterday. There was a new word written in a text, at its beginning. The word called "Ainiku". Ainiku? I thought and tried to translate. "Ai" means "love" and "niku" means "meat". So the meaning of "Ainiku" must be something like "love- meat"... Maybe, the meat that I love?? "Ah, ok, I thought, this must be something like a nickname for the person you like!!
Last night I went out with a very friendly Japanese girl and saw her home. In the bus I wanted to ask her if she wants to become my girlfriend. So I said: " ainiku ni naritai desuka?" She looked at me in a very strange way and asked me to repeat the question. I said it again, but even at the third time just didn` t understand me! So I checked the word in my dictionary... And felt so embarrassed!!! "Ainiku" isn`t a nickname at all!! It means: "unfortunately"

What I learned is: I will never, never translate a word in that way again!

From now on I will check my dictionary first!

No comments:

Post a Comment