Monday 31 January 2011

It's lunch time !!!

We Germans like the noodle a lot, not only the kartoffel (= potato). So on yesterday's lunch break I went to eat some noodles. Because I wanted to learn a little Japanese I went to a noodle shop near the fishmarket where I could be certain that there was no English menu. (Also I like Nagahama Ramen more than Hakata Ramen).

Hmm, did I say it was lunch time ? The shop I entered was VERY busy. Four or five customers were standing in line, so I just joined them. They had to be market workers with a coupon for a free lunch ( I thought ) - each and every one of them had a little white paper slip in his hand.

When my turn had come, I sat down at the counter. There was no English menu just like I expected ... ... but neither was there a Japanese one. Scary ! The cooks from behind the counter just looked at me with question marks in their eyes ... Also scary !

But I just told the waiter who also had a slightly quizzical look in his eyes I would be very glad to receive a bowl of Nagahama Ramen in my best Japanese ( though with a little German accent ) ... and five minutes later I got a big pot of steaming noodle soup. The only difficulty was, when I stood up and left, there was no cashier. Nowhere. So I just asked a second waiter for the bill ... ... again, very puzzled looks from all members of the staff when I paid my 400 Yen ( - they did not have any change for my 10.000 Yen note ). So I had to scrape together some 50 and 10 Yen pieces from my various pockets.

With a happy "Thanks for the meal" I left the shop - only to stop in my tracks 5 meters later. Hazukashiiiiiii - the white paper slips the other customers had were no free coupons. There was a food ticket vending machine in front of the shop !!! (Now I knew why nobody had any change ...).

Anyway, the Nagahama Ramen was great food. Plus now I know it is good to always have at least 400 Yen in coins with me.

The German Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment