Monday 10 October 2011

How you not count in Japanese!

We Germans like to count a lot, not only the beers on the Wiesn (the Oktoberfest's bavarian insider name). But I learned in my Japanese class that it is chotto more complicated in Japanese since nearly every single word comes with its own counter. But you cannot learn without trial and error, can you? (Anyway that is my motto).

So when I was invited to a family trip to the zoo by my friend Kenji's sister Fumiko san last week, I tried to boast a little with my expert japanese knowledge. Saying will your three children also come using the counter for little beings, sanbiki 三匹 (no kodomo) ... ... but Fumiko san did not look too pleased. Hazukashiiiiiiii ....Kenji told me afterwards it was the counter not for small beings but for small animals.

Anyway when I saw Kenjis nephews I really understood my mistake ... they were not so little any more. They were rather large and very big so I thought to myself the counter for them ought to be santou 三頭 (Only this time I kept silent about my knowledge ... ).

No comments:

Post a Comment