Tuesday 4 January 2011

Tea time!

We Germans like the tea a lot, not only the beer. So while staying in Japan, I certainly drink my daily pot of green tea and I really enjoy it. When I talked to my friend Andrea in Germany and found out that she also likes to drink tea, I sent her a little sample home.

Now the problem is, she immediately wrote back to me that this tea was extra delicious and she wanted to have more of it since she had drunk all of it in a single week (it was not a very big package though). So I went to the teashop to buy her tea again. But I could not remember the name of the tea or the special brand she liked. All I could remember was the kanji for woman (which is " 女 ") was written on the box. So I asked in the shop for "onna no hito no o - cha", which means woman's tea, since I thought that was the reason my friend Andrea liked the tea so much. But it was a little difficult to get since all woman's tea was out. (That is what I understood, anyway).

But when I went around and around to other shops asking for "onna no hito no o - cha", I always encountered blank, not understanding faces. This was not possible, I thought. Fukuoka's women most likely will cherish this special tea, and drink a lot of it, but they could not have bought all of it !!!

But when I talked to my japanese friends they asked me if probably the tea had come from the Yame region of Kyushu ?? Since the Kanji for Yame are the kanji for "eight" and the kanji for "onna" or " 八女 ", these were the kanji that were written on the teabox. HAZUKASHIIII .... this was true. And when I asked again, most certainly every shop had tea from Yame.

But anyway, I was glad. I was able to find the tea my friend Andrea liked plus I learned a new combination of kanji. Which I doubt I will ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment