Tuesday, 10 May 2011

German Mike wants to live in Japan

So, in order to live in Japan you need money. Usually you earn money by working. The thing is, if you want to work in Japan as a foreigner you need a visa. As a young person, you may work for 1 year with a Working Holiday visa, which is not difficult to get.
But as you get older and maybe have a girlfriend you don't want to marry right away, it becomes more difficult. I mean which company employs someone who won't last long? If your mother tongue is English, then there is often the possibility to earn some coin as an English teacher.
But this is often a dead-end and may not be suitable for everyone.fulfilling in the long run.
It would be better to work a real job.

This means that you have to invest...
So in addition to your application documents, you should attach a complete reference list of your achievements and works. A nice photo is important. Your CV and motivation letter should definitely be written in Japanese, with a description of how you can be an asset to the company.
Naturally, a language course is mandatory. While taking this language course, you should personally introduce yourself to the companies and leave your application documents for them to read. You may also offer the company to temporarily work for them for free (3-4 hours a day). However, this should be conveyed in a subtle way and should not be said directly!
If the company then sees your potential and you as an asset to the company, the representative will soon contact you in order to have a chat with you. If the representative does not contact you in any way, then it means that you've been rejected. But since the Japanese labour force is constantly decreasing, you have fair chances of acquiring a job. With your job contract in hand, you then go to the foreign office and apply for a working visa. The process is relatively quick if you have all the required documents ready.

The next thing you need is accommodation.
Flat sharing is a good alternative to save money otherwise invested in the security deposit and furniture. A Japanese person usually lives with you and takes care of the gas, electricity and other bills. Once you work and earn money, you can look for something else, but keep in mind that you always need a guarantor in order to do this.

Here's a list of living expenses:
Monthly rent: 40000-60000 Yen
Food: 30000-40000 Yen
Transportation: 10000 Yen
Leisure time: 20000 Yen
Total: 140000 Yen per month

You can calculate your hypothetical monthly income (with appropriate qualifications!):
Age x 10000 Yen I.e. a 40-year old's gross income is about 400000 Yen per month on average
This may vary of course, as about 20% is claimed by the health insurance and pension.

I hope I was able to give you an insight on how to live in Japan.
See you in Fukuoka soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment